Friday, July 26, 2013

Haze Kilim - Tips to Fabulous!

Haze Kilim is one of my favorites from the Kaffe Fassett & Liza Prior Lucy book, "Simple Shapes; Spectacular Quilts."  I made it one row longer to measure 72" wide and 90" long so it's a nice generous twin quilt or equally generous family room sofa throw.  I found it makes a striking wall hanging for one of those two story stairwells too! 

I like to use strip piecing techniques so I calculated the sizes of the strips needed to make the large half square triangles (HST) with multiple strips (like Kaffe Fassett made his original) and to make the small HST's both using a triangle ruler.  These calculations and tips are included in the kit!

Below are the light triangles for the quilt pictured above.

 
 
Below is a photo of the 20 fabrics (each 22" x 44") and heavy weight vinyl project bag included in the kit.
 
 
 
It was quilted with So Fine in Red and a pantograph called "Dizzy" by Clothwerks.
 
I used Banded Poppy in Carmine for the backing & Shot Cotton - Aegean for the binding.  I think it's spectacular!